Thursday, May 29, 2008

New test-prep data

A new report from the University of Chicago supports Danny's conclusions. Its title, "From High School to the Future: ACT Preparation--Too Little, Too Late," says everything needed.

It documents that teachers and students in Chicago Public Schools believe test scores are mostly determined by test-taking skills, that almost all classes containing juniors focus on test-taking (even if there are significant percentages of seniors who had already taken the test), and that these phenomena are worse in schools with large concentrations of minorities.

There's a difference between teaching the basics and teaching the basics of test-taking. In a particularly illuminating passage, the report quotes a student discussing his or her expectations for and reaction to the ACT:
In March (before the ACT)
Interviewer: Do you know what score you're shooting for?
Student: At least the mid 20's.
Interviewer: Any reason?
Student: So I can pick my own colleges.... If I don't want to go to Daley [a community college], I don't have to go to Daley. I can go to, like I said, [University of Illinois] Champaign or even a better place.

In May (after the ACT)
Interviewer: Do you have a list of schools that you're going to apply to, that you're interested in?
Student: Well, right now I'm basically going to Daley for, like, the first year and a half, so I can get the general, basic classes, and then transfer them out to...IIT, I guess.
Interviewer: Do you think it's going to be hard to get into IIT?
Student: I have a 3.5, and I have a 25 percent [class rank]. The only problem will be the ACT, 'cause I got a 16 on it.
[The student needs a 21 to get into IIT program.]

No comments: