Friday, March 13, 2009

Departure Lounge

Five years after sketching the contours of Education Sector with Andy Rotherham at the Oceanaire restaurant in downtown Washington, I’m leaving the organization at the end of June to become executive director of the Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington (AISGW), a vibrant consortium of 84 private and independent parochial schools, where I’ll have the opportunity to do a wide range of very interesting work. AISGW announced my appointment yesterday in a generous press release.

Launching Education Sector has been a tremendous experience. I’ve learned an immense amount. I’m more than a little proud of what our team has accomplished. And I’m looking forward to continuing my affiliation with ES once I start at AISGW in July.

I also want to mention another transition at Education Sector. Marshall (Mike) Smith has resigned from our board of directors because he has started working as a senior advisor to Secretary Duncan at the U.S. Department of Education, a perfect job for him. Education Sector wouldn’t exist without Mike. As the director of education programs at the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, he was our first funder, giving me the opportunity to spend six months as Education Sector's first full-time employee and encouraging other foundations to support us. Hewlett continued to be our leading funder during Mike’s tenure at the foundation. And along the way he has been an invaluable mentor to me. There's no one working in American education policy today who has had a more distinguished career than Mike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hate to see you go. I learned from your every post.

Anonymous said...

At least the education community isn't losing you entirely. That would indeed be tragic.