Monday, July 14, 2008

First Come First Serve

Per below, the comments on today's student debt column are really a must-read, here's one:

Senior Citizensin Student Loan Debt and credit
I have rearely , if ever, seen anything written about the plight of many senior citizens who carry old student loan debt. I graduated university in 1985 [ some loans dating from ‘81]. My loan debt ballooned because of the interest,yes, but more importantly, I had a family crisis [ terminally ill child]and I was physically and emotionally unable to begin to address the issies. I WAS in contact with the banks and the USDE. At one point [ late 80s] I eas even willing to collect soda cans and bottles [ that’s all I could do because I was homeless] but I was told “that’s not good enough.” It wasn’t until I get good jobs inthe late 90s and 2000 that I could begin to pay anything. Now I am living on ONLY Social Security; I AM paying on my loans, but the staggering sum of interest accrued is enough to send me to cardiac arrest. I wish there were some relief! If there is any will someone PLEASE tell me!

Dee DeMusis, at 10:35 am EDT on July 14, 2008
Now, I know for a fact that there are journalists out there who read this blog. Come one--this piece writes itself! You've got impoverished senior citizens AND the health care crisis AND uncaring student loan companies, all wrapped up in a compelling personal story that provides a fresh angle on a hot issue. Your lede's already written! Track this poor woman down and take the rest of the week off, your work is done!

No comments: