Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Too Weird for The Wire

A little over four months ago, after weeks of dutiful episode summaries and commentary, I posted a short piece about the final episode of The Wire, promising to follow up with more. Alas, I never got around to it, and the guilt has been haunting me ever since.  So, as a gesture of contrition to our loyal readership, I've written a whole magazine article in this month's Washington Monthly about a group of drug dealers from West Baltimore--essentially the real-life guys from The Wire--who are defending themselves against a massive federal drugs/weapons/conspiracy/murder indictment using constitutional fundamentalist legal theories developed by white supremacists, gun nuts, Timothy McVeigh militia / patriot crazy people, etc. Featuring cameo appearances by Geraldo Rivera, Toby Keith, and former heavyweight boxing champion Hasim Rahman, plus some really terrible rap lyrics. 

1 comment:

Ethan Gray said...

Hey Kevin,

I just finished your article and was blown away. Thanks for the link and the great writing. It read like an episode of the Wire, too - ending caught me off guard and left me feeling a little more depressed about the crazy state of things.

EG